Here at Westview Glass and Aluminium, we’re excited to share more about what we do and how we do it. We know that your home is more than a house, and we think of glass and aluminium as a tool to make it even more beautiful! We’ll also be covering topics that we’re passionate about, such as home improvement, showcases of some great examples of our work, and much more. Today, we’ll be covering a very important topic to Perth homeowners – sliding doors, and how to clean their tracks so they’ll look and work great!
Keepin’ it real (clean).
Well-maintained, attractive sliding doors don’t just add to your property value, they add to your quality of life. There’s plenty of advice out there online on how to clean, maintain and repair sliding doors – some of it helpful, some of it quite the opposite! While repairing sliding doors can be dangerous and should generally be left to experienced professionals, there’s still plenty you can do to keep your sliding door doing what it’s supposed to: sliding smoothly!
- Safety glasses and gloves (better safe than sorry!)
- Non-abrasive household cleaner
- Silicone lubricant
- Cleaning cloths
- Steel wool
- Wet-dry vacuum
- Close the sliding door, and vacuum over the exposed track area to get rid of any debris (pet hair, bugs and so on).
- Open the door, and do the same on the other side of the track.
- With the door open, spray the track with a non-abrasive household cleaner. Wipe with a rag, close the door, and repeat on the other side of the track
- Inspect the round portion of the track where the roller comes in contact; smooth any debris or rough spots with steel wool. If you’re worried about doing this stage yourself, or the wear and tear is getting noticeable, get in touch with us for sliding door repair and maintenance – we can intervene early before it becomes a big, more expensive job!
- Next, lubricate the track with the silicone lubricant to keep the door rolling smoothly. Roll the door back and forth a few times to make sure things are smooth sailing!
We hope you found this advice useful, and feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. Watch this space – next month, we’ll be talking all about the difference you can make to the look of your home by replacing your windows!